back to "Iron Sands to Steel"
The Saga of New Zealand Steel
(1) Cull, J.E L., Experiments on the smelting of New Zealand ironsand, N.Z. J. Sci. Tech. (1918) 1 43 – 48.
(2) O’Brien, D.J.; Marshall, T., Spheroidization in metallized iron-titanium ores, N. Z. J. Sci. (1965) 8 3 – 15. Jones, W.D., Fundamental Principles of Powder Metallurgy, Edward Arnold Ltd., London, 1960, p.41.
(4) Neutze, D., Beardsley, E., Design for a Century – A History of the School of Engineering, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, 1987, p.85.
(5) Hesketh, J.A., Smelting the titaniferous ironsands of New Zealand, N.Z. J. Sci. Tech. (1920) 4S 111 – 4.
(6) Harbord, F.W., Pig iron and steel, electric smelting of ironsands in a Snyder furnace at Darlington, A.J.H.R.N.Z. (1922) C 15.
(7) Marshall, T.; Nicholson, D.S., Electric smelting of titaniferous ironsands at Onekaka, N.Z. J. Sci. Tech. (1955) 37 201 – 220.
(8) Martin, W.R.B., The iron and titanium ores of New Zealand: Occurrence, composition, attempts to use and status today with special reference to ironsands, N.Z. Eng. (1955) 10 317 – 36.
(9) Shannon, W.T.; Kitt, W.; Marshall, T., Separation of ilmenite and zircon from Waikato North Head ironsands, N.Z. J. Sci. Tech. (1960) 3 74 – 92. Kennedy, B.; Daniels, N. H.; Marshall, T., Gaseous Reduction of sintered titanomagnetite pellets, N.Z. J. Sci. (1967) 10 701 – 20. McAdam, G.D.; Dall, R.E.A.; Marshall, T., Direct reduction of New Zealand ironsand concentrates, N.Z. J. Sci. (1969) 12 649-86.
(10) Nicholson, D.S.; Fyfe, H.E., Borehole survey of North Island ironsands from New Plymouth to Kaipara Harbour, N.Z. J. Geol. Geophys. (1958) 1 617 – 34. Kear, D.K., Geology of Ironsand Resources of New Zealand, Science Information Division, DSIR, 1979. McDougall, J.C., Ironsand deposits offshore from the west coast, North Island, New Zealand, N.Z. J. Geol. Geophys. (1961) 4 283 – 300.
(11) Bockman, O.C., Some experiments with scale models of electrothermic furnaces, J. Electrochem. Soc. (1954) 101 493 – 6. Anon., Highveld – a new route to steel with vanadium recovery, Eng. Mining J. (Nov 1972) 175 – 177.
(12) Marshall, T., The development of titaniferous ironsand smelting, N.Z. J. Sci. (1970) 13 3 – 17.
(13) Ingram, H.; McConnell, A.M.; Armstrong, P.G.; Ade, G.J.; Goodfellow, T.B.; Cooper, R.H.; Buist, D.R., The ironsands projects, Trans. N.Z. Inst. Eng. (1974) 1 1 – 131.
(14) Jessop, A.F.; Medley, J.E.; Sainsbury, D.J., Steel-making with New Zealand ironsands, Proc. Meeting on Alternative Routes to Steel, Iron and Steel Inst., London, May, 1971. Bold, D.A.; Evans, N.T., The selection and development of the SL/RN direct reduction plant at New Zealand Steel Limited, Second Latin American Seminar on Direct Reduction, Porto Alegre, Brazil, 1975.
(15) Shannon, W.T.; Penman, J., Factors affecting the dry crushing strength of titanomagnetite pellets, N.Z. J. Sci. (1969) 1 118 – 28.
(16) Bold, D.A.; Evans, N.T., Direct reduction down under: The New Zealand story, Iron & Steel International June 1977) 145 – 152. Evans, N.T., Development of the SL/RN process at New Zealand Steel Limited, Proc. AIME Conf. (Iron and Steel Soc.), Chicago, 1978.
(17) Holborow, K.A., Commissioning of the new iron plant at New Zealand Steel, Proc. IPENZ Ann. Conf., Christchurch, (1987) II 35 – 43.
(18) Evans, N.T., Development of the SL/RN Process at New Zealand Steel Limited, Proc. AIME Conf. (Iron and Steel Soc.), Chicago, 1978. Bates, C.P., Conceptual planning for the expansion of primary steel making at New Zealand Steel Limited, Aust. I.M.M. Conf., New Zealand, 1980, pp.349 – 355.
(19) Holborow, K.A., Commissioning of the new iron plant at New Zealand Steel, Proc. IPENZ Ann. Conf., Christchurch, (1987) II 35 – 43. Cooper, R. H., The continuing development of New Zealand Steel Limited, Metals Australasia (1982) Nov/Dec 15.
(20) Braddell R., At what cost NZ Steel’s supremacy? Evening Post, 15 July1987.
New Zealand Steel Limited, Plan of Reconstruction involving New Zealand Steel Limited and its shareholders, New Zealand Steel Development Limited, New Zealand Steel Mining Limited and Her Majesty the Queen in right of New Zealand, 1986.
New Zealand Steel Limited, Explanatory Material Concerning a Reconstruction Consolidation Involving New Zealand Steel Limited and its Shareholders, New Zealand Steel Development Limited and Her Majesty the Queen in Right of New Zealand, 1987.
Report of the New Zealand Steel Investigating Company, presented to Hon. J.R. Marshall, Minister of Industries and Commerce, 11 December 1962, Government Printer, 1963.
Report of the Provisional Board of the New Zealand Steel Company, presented to Hon. J.R. Marshall, Minister of Industries and Commerce, 9 December 1964, Government Printer, 1965.
White Paper on New Zealand Steel Expansion Project., A.J.H.R.N.Z. (1983) G 37.
Dick, I.D., Iron and Steel, unpublished manuscript covering 1838 – 1881.
Hawkins, A., The Hawk – The Equiticorp Story as told to D. McLaughlin, Four Star Books, 1989.